Monday, February 1

Thoughts

Lately I have been thinking about what the future holds and what lies in store for us. This is not uncommon for me at all, but having a special needs daughter has made my thoughts more interesting and trying to figure out what the future holds is virtually impossible. Considering that we were expecting nothing at all at first, and now to have her improve so much has been a true miracle.
It is interesting the comments that we get when we go out. Everyone comments about how good she is and how they love her smile. Then they start to ask about why she has glasses or why she doesn't talk yet. Me, I answer their questions, and try to educate them on her, and tell them that she can still communicate with us even though she doesn't talk. I keep a prayer in my heart and hope that some day she will be able to call me mommy, or talk with her big brother. But until that day, we know that she can reach out to things, she laughs with a laugh that is totally contagious, and when she is unhappy, her lower lip can stick out farther than the grand canyon. I could not ask for a more perfect person in the whole world. She is perfect in every single way.
I have been reading a blog lately that is kind of a support of parents of special needs children. The button is off to the side of my blog. But it is truly amazing to read the stories of these special children and their amazing parents. I have been crying my eyes out this afternoon reading different things. But one of the best things that I came across today was this quote,
"I thought I would have to teach my daughter about the world,
It turns out I have to teach the world about my daughter.
They see a girl who cannot talk.
I see a miracle who does not need words."
-Unknown

It fits everything to a "t". I have also realized that I don't need to worry about what will be years from now. What happens will happen. I can plan to the best of my ability, I can work with my daughter to provide the most that I can for her to succeed. But the most that I can do is truly love my children every single day, and enjoy the time that we have together no matter what comes. I will enjoy every moment, every breath, every smile, every laugh.

14 comments:

kjha said...

I have loved reading your journey...you are an amazing mom and woman (but I already knew you were amazing!)

King Family said...

such a wonderful thought!!!!

Adhis said...

Cute photo of the little chickamuffin!

My mind wanders sometimes because of BabyDhis' "patience" in wanting to learn how to walk and talk.

Most of the time, I'm full of sunshine and faith. But every so often, especially with another one on the way, I'm a bowl full of trepidation with a cup of faith. We never know, what our kids have been sent here to teach us, huh?

Kimmers said...

Thank you for your post....I love you and my little Bob....I have never been more privileged and blessed then to have her and you in my life. (oh and Bill and Cob too)
Aunt Kim is always avail if you need some freetime!!!

Leslie said...

Thank you. You (and your family) are wonderful and inspiring! I'm glad you're my friend!

Amy said...

You are amazing!! Oh and she is a mini me with your great smile!

Katy said...

Beautiful.

Marcella said...

I love that quote. She is a miracle. What a blessing to have her in your life.

Janet said...

Love her picture! I love her high fives at the bus stop. Love you Kat.

Marie said...

What a beautiful post. You're such an inspiration, Kat. And so is Brinley!

Emilee said...

Kat, thank you for posting that quote. So many times I worry about what the future will hold for my little one that I forget that just her existence is a miracle. Darryl frequently has to remind me how far we've come. I look at Brinley and I see hope for Georgia. I know we were never friends when I was in that ward but I do keep track of your blog and little Brinley. Please contact me sometime emileehyde(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Jackie said...

I love that little quote. Brinley is so special, and you guys are lucky to have EACH OTHER.

Lori said...

Kat,
I've been out of the blog world for a while, but I am SO glad I read your blog tonight. It's very late and I've been struggling with some issues (I'm sure you can guess what). We are going through some tough times with Myah right now and I too am thinking about "what's to come?" I just want you to know your post gave me a little strength tonight. So thank you! Such a beautiful post. I know YOU get it Kat. Thanks and good luck! Hopefully I'll do better with this blog stuff:)

CBG said...

Amen, sister. You are awesome. And Brinley just makes me smile. :)

"It's not so much what happens to us but how we deal with what happens to us."
-James E. Faust