
If the nice men with the little white coats come to take me away, will someone please notify my next of kin? Seriously, I think I am going crazy.
Brinley had a meeting this last week with her therapy program to go over where she is and set some goals for the next 6 months. It was going great until they talked to me about adding yet another therapy class to her schedule. I told them that I would try it for a little while, but then if it got to be too much then it would stop and we wouldn't go to it anymore. Because really, there is a point where you have to say, "stop, it is too much", or you go insane.
She has in a month....
1 speech therapist appointment
2 physical therapy appointments
2 occupational therapy appointments
3 vision therapy appointments
Motor skills class every week at the center
Kindermusik class every week at the center (this is the newly added one)
So, this makes for 4 days of therapy every week. The two classes at the center are on Thursdays and Fridays. So, that leaves 3 other days for the therapists to pick from to come to our house to do the therapy as they don't like to overwhelm her and do more than one a day. Yeah, life had gotten really really crazy and busy. Most likely, the Kindermusik class will shortly get stopped, however, I did tell them that I would try it and see how it goes first. So, I will follow through with that promise.
I love my husband to death and was able to get a blessing last night to help me with my slight little break down. But, my thoughts these last couple of days have been....
How do you simplify a life where there isn't really anything you can get rid of?
House has to be cleaned, laundry has to be done, family has to be fed, bills have to be paid, showers have to be gotten (well, that could be up for debate however, neighbors, friends, and family might start to complain of the stench), church callings are never an option to slack off on as blessings are needed, Brinley has to have her therapy to help her develop, Caden has to go to school to learn, homework has to be done so he doesn't fail. We don't really have any extras on our plate right now that we are doing.
The list could go on, but I refer back to my question to maybe gain some insight from all of you out there. How do you simplify a life where there isn't really anything you can get rid of?
Anyone?.....
Anyone?......
Bueller?......
Bueller?......
*Update* - Since this was posted this morning, Brinley's therapist came by and I had yet another break down, this time in front of him. Needless to say, we had a good discussion and Brinley will no longer be attending the Kindermusik class. We cancelled that. :)
22 comments:
I think you count all the music you do and the nursery music time and baby einsteins as music. Then, I think you hide out...:) okay or at least once have a day that you "run away" as my parents would say. Or call Amy for chocolate, lots of chocolate and soda!
Good job on cancelling the Kindermusik class. I don't think it will be detrimental to Brinley's development to miss that particular class.
When I was at a place that sounds a lot like yours, I finally made an appointment with a therapist who suggested I find a way to take something off of my plate. You have already done that, with removing that class, and maybe that will be enough for you. If, however it isn't, let me tell you what I did: I spoke with a responsible young woman in my ward, and I asked her if she would be willing to help me clean house each week for about two hours. Then I asked her what would be a fair price. She discussed it with her mom, and they decided that $15/wk for 2hrs of work was fair. I hired her on the spot, and NEVER regretted it. I decided that I could find a way to cut $15 from my grocery budget each week in order to preserve my sanity and pay for help. I had her mop, vaccuum, dust, and clean my bathrooms.
Boy, have I been missing her since we moved. ...Sigh.
Keep your chin up, the bubble bath close and your friends even closer.
1) Ask the Lord to reveal (or confirm) to you what Brinley REALLY needs at this time.
2) Ask Him to reveal a way that will better benefit your entire family.
3) Allow others to serve you. (You do such a great job serving others, allow the cycle to be complete by letting your VTs, home teachers, neighbors, family and friends serve you.)
4)Say “no, not now” when asked to take on new things or asked for time-consuming favors (like fixing someone’s house, ahem).
5)Either through barter, a low wage, or plain old free service, get help to clean your home, have simple meals brought or bought, or get a tutor once a week to come help Caden with homework. (I've done all those in the past.)
6)Adopt nudity around your house, and you will have a lot less laundry to do!
7)Keep the showers!
Ditto on the helping people with their house! And then my mind goes to Adhis in the buff writing this...
He he he. I think I like the going in the buff idea. That would create a lot less laundry. LOL I don't think it would work too well when therapists or company come over though.
Thanks for all the good ideas guys. I truly appreciate them.
I want to help! You have helped me so much this past month that there's no way I could repay all of it but I am pretty good at cleaning and laundry...or I would love to watch your kiddos so you could go to dinner with your hubby, or if you don't want to be gone long you could just go get a shake or something.
I'll talk to you tomorrow. Love ya.
Oh and way to go on cancelling the kindermusik class!
Oh Kat sounds crazy I am so sorry. You know your limits so I am so proud of you saying NO. You have to because you want to be happy and energized for your family! She needs that more than kindermusik right! :) I love you.Brinley can come and play with Lucy anytime so you can have a break!
Poor Kat,
I recommend combining several of Adhis' ideas. Show up to Brinleys appointments in the buff to save on laundry. Ask someone there if they would like to prepare you dinner, or help Caden with his homework.
Seriously, shake things up a bit ( no pun intended.)
If you figure out a way, let me know. I can't help you with this one because I don't know how to simplify my own life with Jack, homework, school, new baby coming. Ugh!
Although, I will say, I thought you went crazy a long time ago? :) ha ha ha!!! (you know I'm teasing...)
I think we're all plain crazy! No help needed in that department. To simplify . . . remember that not everything has to be perfect all the time, that meals don't have to be balanced all the time, and remember to take a little time for yourself every day! Take care of the mommy too!
wow! you are one busy mom :) stay strong! you know what is best for you and for your family. you are doing great...just make sure you listen to yourself!! xoxo
whoa! my comment went up three times! talk about crazy ;)
Kat - I totally know how you feel! it is so overwhelming to be a mom, but with a child who needs o much more from - the stakes are higher and so is the pressure. But you are Brinley's mom for a reason. And in the end, you will know what is right for her!
The only other suggestion I have is to cut back on vision to twice a month. Glad someone helped you feel better about not doing Kindermusic! That is clearly too much for anyone. Can't wait to see you at class! Just a few days left!
Love you!
Your comments always brighten my day. I wish I could return the favor somehow. She is SO lucky to have you. Hang in there!
You're doing great, Kat, you really are. It's okay to be crazy and to hide-out and run away because in the end, you look fantastic and that's what's really important. Right? As for what can go from your list, homework is one of the first things I would toss. You can call me on that one, but I follow a philosophy called "the case against homework," and it's brought more happiness to my home and family.
I don't have an answer but I do want to tell you I have been thinking of you lately. I have been working some on the weekends at a residential Learning and Care center. There are a couple of younger residents and when I first started there I would leave crying because I just feel like there potential would be so higher if there were in a home being raised by loving parents. I have had the thought many times where would this child be now if they were being raised by parents like Bill & Kat instead in this place. I admire you immensely and if there is ever anything I can do, let me KNOW!! Love Lisa
You are speaking my language, woman! Have you figured it out yet???? Because i sure haven't. I guess it's the "do not run faster" thing. I have found if I prioritize: The Lord, my family....everything else falls into place (eventually:) (and maybe not the laundry:)
Hang in there.
Hope all is well!
Lori
Kat, I know how you feel. Georgia has the same amount of therapists. And don't forget that after meeting with all of those therapists you still have to implement all their "ideas" at home. And then you feel guilty if you cancel an appointment or don't do therapy because you feel like you are missing out on an opporunity to help your child. Having a child with special needs is not easy but it is rewarding and that's what you have to keep telling yourself. Hang in there.
Post a Comment