Sunday, March 9

Updates

We have had quite a few updates since the last time I posted. First and formost, we have a new addition to our family. Brinley Olivia Bleyl was born November 26, 2008. She was 5 1/2 weeks early. She was delivered by a "crash" c-section. She was 3 pounds 14 ounces and 17 inches long. I went in for a non-stress test, and her heart stopped while I was there. So, they ended up delivering her in 6 minutes, then they did 8 minutes of CPR in order to get her heart started again. We were told later that they weren't even sure that they should start CPR on her. We are definately glad that they did. She is truly our little miracle. She is a very good result of lots of prayers and fasting. She was stabalized at American Fork hospital and then life flighted to Utah Valley. She was in Newborn ICU for a little over a month. We loved our "family" of staff there. They prepared us for the worst after her first EKG showed no brain activity. But, she continued to improve day by day. When we left the hospital, she had a G-tube. A G-tube is a tube that is in the stomach and they get fed through it. So it doesn't inhibit their learning to feed and let's them continue to learn how to suck and take a bottle. They also told us that she would never see, never hear, never suck, and she would never walk. Since leaving the hospital at the end of December, she has passed her vision test, her hearing test, and she is taking all of her feedings from a bottle. We are so excited. :) So, things are busy with doctors appointments and everything else. We'll see how much brain damage she has over the years as she continues to grow and develop, but she is acting and looking great. She is currently 7 pounds 10 ounces, and 20 1/2 inches long. She fits in newborn clothes now instead of Build A Bear clothes. (Yes, she was dressed in teddy bear clothes) :) I am quitting my job and staying home with Caden and Brinley. I am so excited for that. Bill is graduating in April and we will be excited when that happens. We'll have daddy home! Wahoo! So, now that things are kind of becoming manageable, (LOL) I will try to keep the blog page updated. Here are a couple of pictures of Brinley when she was first born, and what she was like a couple of weeks ago. I will update with more pictures in a little bit. :)

3 comments:

Susie said...

What an awesome picture of you with your kids! So "artsy" and I love Caden's expression.
I saw your email title and went to the bookmark for your old blog address and was shocked that it wasn't there. I like your new name, and will update my bookmark so I can keep checking in on it!

Kikibug said...

OH MY GOSH! She is TOO precious. I had no idea all that happened! I knew you were pregnant (we saw Bill at a AF football game, and you must have had the baby days later). What a MIRACLE... teared up a little..sniff sniff. I am so glad y'all are all doing SO great. What a blessing. Really.

Kristen said...

Wow Kat, amazing story. It's so hard to see our tiny ones struggling. We had a rough time with our first. Your daughter seems to be doing great though! Congrats and good luck with everything. You're a tough mommy!

"It's not so much what happens to us but how we deal with what happens to us."
-James E. Faust