Tuesday, September 9

Weight Update & Surgery News

Ok, so a week ago, Brinley had her 9 month appointment with the doctor. We were pushing for 10 pounds, but no such luck. She was very close though. She weighed in at 9 pounds 13 ounces! So, 1 pound for every month old she is. LOL :) What a cutie! She is doing very well though, and she has started reaching for things across her chest, or midline as they call it. Her therapist, Paul, told me that this is a VERY good thing as most kids with brain damage who can use their hands, will not cross their midline at all with their hands. The fact that she is, is fabulous. So, we are still encouraging her to try and use her left hand more, but we aren't discouraging her from reaching across to grab it with her right hand either.

Tomorrow, she will have her surgery at Primary Children's to correct her eye problem. We love her and she seriously does look really cute when she looks at you like this and just laughs and grins at you.


However, we are trying to get her to see just one of us and not duplicates. :) So, they said that it is a very common procedure. What the doctor is going to do is loosen the muscles on the inside of each eye so that they will not pull in so much. Then in two weeks we go back in to see how she is doing and if she will need a follow up surgery or not. Let's hope this works! Thank heavens for blessings and prayers. They work miracles. :) We'll let you know how it all goes. We do know that she'll have red eyes for a while. Too bad it isn't around Halloween time. That would have made for a SWEET costume. :)

11 comments:

Kimmers said...

Our Prayers are with you. I love you Bob!!! Heavenly Father has blessed you so far, he will continue to bless the rest of us through you.. Thanks for your example of a true fighter Brinley!!!

Lisa said...

My prayers are with you too! She is so adorable!!

Mason/Sam/Family said...

Hang tough little Brinley. Let us know how the surgery goes!

Thalea

Katy said...

She is just darling, and she's lucky to have you for a mom! What a great attitude you always seem to have through it all. I admire you and am so happy that your little sweetie pie is doing so well!

Jenn said...

We will continue to pray for your family. Let us all know how the surgery goes. I can't believe your positive adittude. You really can find fun in anything. Red eyes and all.

Janet said...

You are such a great example of being positive. I don't know how you do it. Brinley is always in our prayers.Good luck and let me know if you need anything!

Adhis said...

I love that little Brinley. Every time I see her, I want to kiss her little face but I'm always wearing too much lipstick. Darn you, vanity!!!!

Kat, your attitude is very inspirational. I know you are human and inside sometimes feel anger, frustration and Kattyness, but you still choose a brighter response and that happens to be what I'm working on.

Marie said...

Ditto to everything that's been said above about you, Kat - You are such an inspiration to us all, and truly a joy to be around. Thank you for showing us the better way!!!

We're keeping your family and especially Brinley in our prayers.

Lyns said...

That picture is adorable! Cracks me up. I'm so happy that her surgery is almost here so that you can get it over with and not stress about that part anymore. I'll keep your little family in my prayers! Good Luck and keep us posted when you can. :)

CBG said...

Go Brinley!! It's amazing the things that become cause for celebration when you have a kid that's not "typical", isn't it? I found a shirt for Noah that says "Be patient with me now and I'll be kind to you when I write my book." I'd be expecting the same from Brinley. :) Please do update when you can.

Kikibug said...

She is so stinking cute!!! I just want to nibble and could you be any cuter and funny. The red eyes would be cool... I LOVE your attitude!
hug hug hug for your family!

"It's not so much what happens to us but how we deal with what happens to us."
-James E. Faust