Ok, so they have finally told us what she has. She has an ileus. Basically what this is is that her intestines have stopped working. So, nothing is moving down there, causing whatever goes in to just come right back up. It is usually caused by surgery involving the intestines, but the doctors said that it can also be caused by a bug or stress. So, the main thing is that she needs to start pooping. She hasn't pooped for a week now. They took an x-ray of her belly and intestines and they showed that they are completely full of air and gas.
So, this morning, they gave her a supository, and she has pooped 3 times now! Wahoo! I was dancing a jig, and doing victory laps around the room. Now she needs to get the intestines to start moving again, and then we can talk about getting out of here. They don't know how long it will take for them to start working, so it is mainly just a waiting game. But it is good to know that it won't be a permanent thing. It just has to trigger to start working, and there really isn't anything they can do to do that. The supository could help, but that's about it.
So, here we wait. I have never been one to sit still for very long. So, needless to say, this is driving me nuts. :) But, you do what you can for your kids. We would do anything! I never dreamed that I would be praying so hard for one of my kids to poop. Oh wait, I did that with Caden and potty training. Ha ha ha. Just kidding. But, that is what we know so far. I will keep everyone posted the more we find out.
9 comments:
Congrats! After our first baby's problems, every poop for our second (Jonathan) was a celebrated miracle. =o) Good luck with the waiting game. I bet it's torture.
If you're bored there and want to be a sleuth for me, you can investigate whether there is still a geneticist named Dr. Carey there. Only if you're bored, I know you have other important things to worry about. Please keep us posted on her recovery!
I thought of you Kristen when I read this post.
Holy cow. I'm a bit of a mess inside now. How can such little people send our emotions into such a tailspin?
What a relief to at least know what's going on. I'm sure all kinds of things go through your mind. I'm sorry for all you've been going through, and especially what little Brinley's going through and hope for a speedy recovery.
I thought of me too. What a nightmare. That's exactly where we were 6 years ago today. Hmm. You'll get through it though Kat, really. God is paying attention and she seems to be improving. Hang in there!
YEAH for POOP! I'm glad things are going a little better. I hope you like your mini-van. We love ours and wouldn't trade it for anything!
How about for one meee-llion dollars?
[/Dr. Evil]
Yeah for poop! Hope she gets to go home soon!
POOP!!! I remember the first time I realized I was a parent. We had friends over and some how we ended up talking about our childrens pooping patterns. That poop sure is a great thing.
Isn't it sad/funny that we are so attentive to poop and pee! Oh, the fun of being a parent. Who knew that "stuff" could be so important! I'm sorry I haven't made it up to visit you at PCMC yet. I tried to call yesterday to see if you were still there and then got stuck in meetings today. I hope things continue to go well!!!
Post a Comment