Tuesday, July 1

When It Rains, It Pours.....Part Two

Ok, so as promised, I am continuing on in the saga of "The Days of Our Lives" Bleyl style.
My sister Becki got married in Manti exactly one week ago today. Wahoo! It was fun and luckily, our car made it out to Manti and back with no more problems.
Wednesday, Brinley had her MRI at Primary Children's to see how her brain had developed since the one she had while she was in NICU. They had to put her under anesthesia for this, but she did great and we got great results from the doctor. He said that her brain growth is about 2 months behind, but due to her coming early and her brain damage, that it looked good. He was very optomistic about it and said that it looked better than they thought it would. He said that she would still have some disorder, but that it wouldn't be as severe as we originally thought. We were ecstatic!
Well, they said that anesthesia can make kids nauseous and so to wait 24 hours for vomiting issues. Wednesday afternoon she started throwing up, but we thought that it was from the anesthesia. We changed her to clear liquids, and she still couldn't even keep ice cube water drops down. So, Thursday, we took her to the on call doctor. He gave us nice little pills that help people to not throw up. They didn't work at all on Brinley. She was still vomiting. So, Friday, I took her in to our regular doctor. He looked her over, said she still looked hydrated as her mouth was still very wet, but he also said that her stomach was churning like crazy. So, he told us to give her Maalox to calm it down. If she threw up blood, or anything green, however, we needed to bring her back in right away. He said that they have had TONS of kids who have been vomiting and having diarhea. So, we needed to make sure she didn't get dehydrated.
So, we go home. Keep in mind, that this is now day 3 of the vomiting issue. Those of you who have seen her, know that she has no fat on her little body. So, Saturday morning, I am trying to feed her some Pedialyte. She gets about one ounce down, then promptly throws up blood and Pedialyte. It was old, brown blood, but none the less blood. So, yes, I freaked out. Lets just say that it was a good thing there were no cops on the way to the doctors. I probably would have made them follow me there, then arrest me as I got out of my car cause I wouldn't stop. LOL :)
The doctor on call, told us that the blood was probably from a small tear in her esophogas from all of the vomiting. So, he gave us a liquid form of the anti-throw-up pill and told us that this would probably be easier for her to digest. If it didn't work by Saturday afternoon, then we needed to call the afternoon on call doctor. Well, surprise, surprise, it didn't work. We called the on call doctor and he told us that he was sure she was dehydrated as this was now day 4 of the vomiting. So, I took her to the Emergency Room. There, they tried to get an IV in her. It took them 7, yes you read that right, 7, pokes before they got an IV in her. This on top of the 3 pokes it took for the IV on Wednesday for her MRI a couple of days earlier. Then they found out that her Glucose was 35. So, the pumped her chuck full of sugar. They did x-rays, and an ultrasound and thought that she might have a blocked intestine. So, after 4 hours in the ER, they called an ambulance and transported us to Primary Children's ER because they thought they might need to do surgery. When they checked her glucose before we left for Primary's, her glucose had spiked to 312. YIKES! But, by the time we got to Primary's, her sugar had gone back down to 45. So, she wasn't able to control her glucose and she wasn't able to keep anything down.
So, it is Tuesday, and we still don't have any idea on why she won't stop throwing up. She has gotten hydrated again, and is slowly starting to keep some Pedialyte down, but she is still getting lots of tests, tests, more tests, and her arms and legs, finger and heels have all been poked so much trying to get blood that she is starting to look freckled. Not in a good way either. Poor little thing! It would be nice if we could get some answers, but so far, we don't have any. Still waiting on test results. So, who knows how long we'll be here at Primary's. I hate not knowing things. Seriously, if we could just get some answers, to why things are happening, then we could start to solve the problems. Aaargh! Just keep her in your prayers, please.
Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Now on to better news. Caden has officially bought his first mini van. We were able to get a good deal from our friend, and Bill and Caden went and bought it last night. We told Caden last October, when he wanted a mini van more than anything else, that he would have to save his pennies. When his piggy bank was full, we would go look for a mini van. Well, since the car broke down, we had to look sooner than later. However, Caden has been busy since last October. Everywhere we go, he is looking for pennies or any other coins he can find. Bill counted out the change before they went to go buy the van, and Caden had over $30! Good going! So, here is a picture of our little man buying his first mini van. :) He even got his own set of keys but was told he couldn't drive it till he was older. Yeah, right! MUCH OLDER. He he he.

7 comments:

Janet said...

Kat, I hope that Brinley gets feeling better and they find out something from all there tests. I can't even imagine the stress your under, but you always handle it so well. you are a great example to me. I love being your neighbor and if you need anything call me ok. Brinley is in our prayers, along with you too.

Englishfam said...

Kat! Oh my goodness! You aren't kidding that it is definitely raining at your house. I am so sorry that you are going through this right now. Tests are the worst because you are on pins and needles waiting for the results. We will definitely keep Brinley in our prayers, poor little girl! Let us know what we can do...

Heather said...

Wow, you are way busy!! I'll continue to keep Brinley in my prayers. You know she's been there since she's been born. I hope they find out why she's sick.

Congrats on your new mini van! Sounds like it was a rough road, but you deserve a new car! Funny, Dean and I almost bought a new car this past weekend too, but changed our minds (we'll still get one, just not now).

Keep us posted on Brinley!

Miss you!!

~Heather

chelon:) said...

i hope your baby gets better. that is no fun...especially not knowing what it is. she will definitely be in our prayers. congrats on the new car... i wish that my kids could buy me a car :)

Jenn said...

We will continue to pray for Brinley. I hope answers have come or will be coming soon. Please keep us posted and let me know if I can do anything.
Way to go Caden on the big purchase. I love the picture

Kristen said...

Those sounded like all the symptoms Jonathan had a couple summers ago. It turned out to be pnuemonia! The pediatrician said that's how it manifests itself in kids sometimes. I'm sure you have the best doctors looking at her though, they know more than I do. =o) And I see you have an update so time to read that.

Adhis said...

Oh my goodness. I felt like crying reading about Brinley's many trips to the doctor. I know how scared I've been when Baby Adhis has had fevers and tests and blahblahblah, but I'd hate for it to go for 4+ days and then be told "it may require surgery." Oh, Kat! Bless you and your family.

In regards to Caden, that is one FANTASTIC photo! I love the look of the salesman; that whole scene is comical.

"It's not so much what happens to us but how we deal with what happens to us."
-James E. Faust