Adhis, all I have to say girl, is that I am totally feeling with you on those sleepless nights. Brinley fell asleep last night and I thought that all was well. HA HA HA HA HA! The vampire people showed up at 11 pm to do her glucose check and woke her up. Usually she has slept through it or whimpered, then fallen back asleep. Nope, not this time. He sat there and talked to her and totally played with her waking her completely up. So, she cried when they did the heel poke and then that set off the chain of events. She promptly threw up the milk that I had so lovingly feed her and sent her off into dreamland with. This made her gassy tummy hurt, and she cried, and cried, and cried. The nurse finally called the resident and she said that we could give her a suppository to help get rid of some gas, and maybe she would calm down and sleep. She tried faxing the order to the pharmacy 3 different times that I know of and they never got it. She called down after we had been waiting two hours for just a little suppository. We finally got it and used it. And, HOLY COW! She passed gas alright. And she also proceeded to poop out of her diaper all over the bedding. So, we had to clean that all up, and get the bedding changed. So, by now, she was crying, throwing up, and wide awake. I tried to rock her to sleep, sing her to sleep, we tried hot packs with warm blankets, to no avail. Finally around 4 am, we thought, maybe she's hungry. (Duh! It was the sleep depravation kicking in at this point.) So, I fed her, burped her, and rocked her. She was so keyed up that her poor little tummy was in knots. She would fall asleep, then wake up crying. A couple of times, I rocked myself to sleep for a couple of seconds. I had FINALLY gotten her to sleep, enough that I could put her in her bed and she would stay asleep without throwing up, when......
Yep, you guessed it, the vampires showed up again. 5 am, their 6 hour later glucose check again. And yes, it was the same one. So, he proceeded to wake her up again. I was about ready to kick him in the knees. But, I bit my tongue, and rocked Brinley to sleep again. Just as I was putting her in her crib, she woke up crying and projectile vomited the Pedialyte that I had fed her. So, we changed the blankets, got some hot packs, wrapped her in warm blankets, and she finally dozed off. Finally, I could get some sleep!
It was at the moment that I had snuggled into my blanket bed, breathed a sigh of relief, relaxed and....... heard the knock at the door. Sure enough, 6 am, the time that the resident comes in and updates me on Brinley's condition and tells me that she will go talk to the team and then they will come back around 9 - noon. Ah, such is the life in the hospital. Ha ha ha. I think I am going to go nuts. Hopefully tonight will go better.
Because of her massive thowing up last night, they decided to do a pancreas check with a blood test to make sure it is working, and also to do an upper GI. The blood test came back normal, and the GI test showed that everything is moving correctly, and looks good. So, the doctor came in and said, "Well, I guess no news is good news. I guess we're back to the waiting game." Oh joy. She did eat a ton better today though. The biggest she spit up was about 1/2 ounce. So, that is a drastic improvement. And, she took milk all day long today, no clear liquids. Which is REALLY good. We've got to fatten this girl up. On Saturday when we got to the ER, she weighed in at 8 pounds 13 ounces. This afternoon, she weighed in at 8 pounds even. So, they are not happy with her losing weight. Especially since she doesn't have that much anyway. So, we are really trying to get her to chow on the milk so she doesn't have to have more IV stuff (TPN) or have an NJ tube put in until she stops throwing up. So, I will be praying all night that she sleeps and keeps everything down. Wish me luck! :)
1 comment:
You should print out your post, enlarge it, and hang it on the bulletin boards in the hospital! It's good they're keeping a close eye on her but yikes, hang in there! It sounds like she's improving a lot. Loveya!
Post a Comment